During dialysis treatment, dialysis patients can more effectively heal their kidney by adhering to a certain diet. Although you might think diet restrictions might feel bothersome at first, there are many kinds of foods dialysis patients can enjoy eating. Below, learn which foods dialysis patients should and shouldn’t eat.
Dialysis patients should eat:
- Fresh, organic meat such as chicken, fish, and turkey
- Low-sodium, frozen or canned meats that are rinsed
- Fruit such as grapes, cherries, apples, and plums
- Vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, and turnips
- Vegetarian foods such as couscous, quinoa, edamame, and tofu
Dialysis patients shouldn’t eat:
- Salt and salty foods
- High-protein foods and animal products such as red meat, cured meat, deli meats, fish, eggs
- Calcium supplements
- Fruits and vegetables high in potassium such as melons, prunes, oranges, bananas, and tomatoes
- Foods with phosphorus or phosphate such as dairy products, whole-grain breads, seasoned and processed foods, nuts, baking powder, chocolate, bran cereal and oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and dark-colored colas
At Doral Health & Wellness Dialysis Center, you can get dialysis treatment and eat delicious meals tailored for our dialysis patients.
To schedule an appointment at our Dialysis Center, call 718-971-1952 today.